DSQ National Composition Competition - 2020!
In furtherance of developing the repertoire for the modern saxophone quartet and showcasing the great work of today’s young composers, we are pleased to announce the 7th DSQ Quartet Composition Competition!
1st Prize - Two 1st-prize winners will receive $500 each, have their piece premiered by DSQ, and receive recordings of
Runner-Up - Up to 3 runners-up will have their pieces premiered by DSQ and receive recordings of the performance.
The premiere date for all winning and runner-up selections is August 7th, 2020 at Kerrytown Concert House in Ann Arbor, MI
- All composers must be currently registered students, of any degree level from Bachelor's through Doctorate, in a music program in the United States as of January 2020.
- Previous first-prize winners of this competition are not eligible, all other composers are welcome.
- There is no application fee.
- Previously premiered pieces are welcome, provided that if selected, the composer allows DSQ to be listed as a co-premiering ensemble with the work’s previous performers.
- New arrangements/transcriptions of your own previous works are welcome provided they have not been
performed in a premiere performance setting in that version before.
- Pieces must be at least 3 minutes in length. The suggested maximum length is 8 minutes, works that are longer than this will be considered equally, though if selected, may not be performed in their entirety due to program length restrictions. Individual movement(s) of a larger work are welcome provided that they meet the criteria listed above.
- Instrumentation for competition is SATB saxophone quartet.
- All composers are encouraged to view our recordings to become acquainted with various technical possibilities for the ensemble. Any composer with specific questions regarding technique, extended techniques, or instrument specific notation used in composing for saxophone quartet is encouraged to contact Dan Graser - email@example.com
- Pieces must be submitted, score and parts in PDF format with a MIDI/digital realization of the piece to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 15th 2020. Included with your piece please include a brief bio and resume detailing your current enrollment in a collegiate music program in the United States
Keaton Garrett - "Idling"
Harrison Collins - "Drive"
Pictured: Keaton Garrett (left), Harrison Collins (right)
Sawyer Denton - "Midnight Run"
Saad Haddad - "Nashwa"
Pictured: Saad Haddad (left), Sawyer Denton (right)
Richard Chowenhill - "In Solitude I Sit"
Chris Hass - "Volcanic Ash"
Pictured: DSQ (always in score order) with Richard Chowenhill (center left with the beard) and Chris Hass (center right in between two beards) after the premiere of their pieces at Kerrytown Concert House in Ann Arbor.
Zack McDonald - "The Corrupted Sleeper"
Pictured: DSQ with composer and saxophonist Zack McDonald after a performance of his winning composition the Schwob School of Music at Columbus State University.
Joseph Bozich - "Babel"
Pictured: DSQ with composer Joseph Bozich after the premiere performance at Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall in New York City.